High-risk individuals may be eligible for new COVID-19 treatment


Did you recently receive a positive test result for COVID-19? Are you at risk of becoming very sick from COVID-19? If you’re experiencing mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19 and are at risk for hospitalization, you may be eligible to receive monoclonal antibody treatment to help your body fight against COVID-19. 

Realted: When Should I Get Tested For The COVID-19 Virus

Related: What To Do If You Test Positive For The COVID-19 Virus

What is monoclonal antibody treatment? 

Monoclonal antibody treatment may help your immune system recognize and respond more effectively to the COVID-19 virus. These antibodies are lab-produced molecules that act as substitute antibodies that may block the virus from attaching to human cells, which can make it harder for the virus to reproduce and cause further harm. 

Am I eligible for monoclonal antibody treatment? 

If you have recently received a positive COVID-19 test and have one of the following conditions, you should ask your healthcare provider if you are eligible for monoclonal antibody treatment. The following high-risks groups are eligible for treatment: 

  • People 65 years old, OR
  • Have chronic kidney disease, OR
  • Have diabetes, OR
  • Have a BMI > 35, OR
  • Have immunosuppressive disease, OR
  • Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment
  • Are > 55 years old AND have:
    • Cardiovascular disease, OR
    • Hypertension, OR
    • COPD or other chronic respiratory disease, OR
  • Are 12-17 years old AND have:
    • BMI > 85th Percentile for their age and gender based on CDC growth charts, OR
    • Sickle cell disease, OR
    • Congenital or acquired heart disease, OR
    • Neurodevelopmental disorders, for example, cerebral palsy, OR
    • A medical-related technological dependence, for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID-19), OR
    • Asthma, reactive airway or other chronic respiratory disease that requires daily medication for control

What should I do if i am eligible for monoclonal antibody treatment? 

Ask your healthcare provider if you are eligible for monoclonal antibody treatment and where you can go to receive your infusion. 

Articles we know you'd love